Sunday, March 30, 2008

Added some revised boards based on conversations with BJ regarding 2nd act...I feel good about this direction...the change may have added some film time but added some pretty crucial tension between the main character and his "love interest"(s)...
BJ brought his dad by to have a look at what we're doing and really the first fresh eye on our scratchy boards and hearing the full story...there were some great things he picked up on which is always exciting to have someone look at what you're doing (especially in such an embryonic stage) and "get" some pretty important concepts...so needless to say I was really happy that he understood...it also provided us with some practice in telling the story...every once in a while I do an "interview" with Charlie Rose (in my head of course) where I have to explain myself, what I'm thinking, how it relates to the story I'm trying to tell, what I want to do with it visually...all the things that are swimming around in my head manifest themselves in me talking to myself (answering Charlie's well informed questions)...what does it sound like when I answer a question about the film? Is it clear? Is the story still relevant?

There were also a few things that came up in terms of the visual storytelling that are new that I was happy to have stumbled upon...I think for the first time I'm feeling pretty good about where it's headed and to be sure, it's really come a long way...the concept and spine was always sort of there but had no structure and when I shared it with BJ we went off into some pretty interesting directions with the story that brought us to some deadends but would have been interesting to explore visually...those things went away when it was realized that they didn't make enough of an impact on the character and the decisions he needed to be faced with...It's interesting when you try things that maybe you know in your heart aren't going to work but you need to explore them anyway in case there is a nugget in there that is important, even if that nugget is the fact that it's NOT a good idea.

Some more storyboarding to be done this week...I'm not real good with choregraphing action so that's something I'm going to try to wrap my head around.

CATCH ME IF YOU CAN was on TV last night...one of my favorites for many reasons but one is realizing how obsessed Handratty was and how relevant his behavior is to Adam's...